Below is a general list of questions we ask ourselves as we review each grant:
- Does the project address a need in at least one of the following areas: education, community life, health and human services, arts and culture, and the environment?
- Could the project lead to permanent, enduring improvements in a community or the state?
- Will a diverse group collaborate on the project to achieve common goals?
- Can the program or idea be duplicated in other communities?
- Does the submitting organization clearly demonstrate sound fiscal management and accountability?
- Could the organization attract multiple sources of support for the project?
- Does the project address underserved segments of the population, such as racial or ethnic minorities, the poor and underprivileged or communities with fewer opportunities?
Restrictions and Limitations
Unfortunately, we are unable to support every organization and program. The Foundation will not support the following:
- Groups acting on behalf of individuals.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, disability, or gender.
- Churches or other religious organizations, except when they are conducting secular programs that will have broad public impact.
- Projects that affect communities outside of Alabama Power's service territory.
- Fraternal, athletic and veterans programs, except in cases where the programs will have a broad public benefit or help disadvantaged individuals.
- Organizations already receiving multi-year support from the Foundation. Such organizations are required to wait at least one year after the current funding ends.
- Primary and secondary private schools.
- Political organizations, parties or causes.
How to Apply
If your organization qualifies and fits with our philanthropic goals and objectives, we encourage you to apply for an Alabama Power Foundation grant.
All Alabama Power Foundation grants are applied for online. By clicking the Apply Now button at the bottom of this page, you will be directed to an online grant form and guided through the process.
Please note: All communication must be addressed to the Alabama Power Foundation. We cannot process requests for the Alabama Power Company.
If you are in need of additional assistance, please contact:
What to Include
As you move through the application process, you will be asked for specific information about your organization. We recommend that you draft this information prior to beginning the online process.
- Organization name and address
- Name, email address and telephone number for the primary contact person
- EIN/Tax ID number
- A brief summary of the history, mission, and staff size of the organization.
- A complete list of the organization's board of directors and/or trustees.
- A one-paragraph summary of the specific project or program impacted by the grant.
- A list of other contributors to the project or program (if applicable).
On the last page of the application, you will be asked to attach specific files.
- Actual grant request with a cover letter outlining goals, objectives and specific needs addressed if you were to receive the grant. Include an implementation plan and timeline with an outline for any activities planned in the near future and achievements thus far. Please keep this to no more than four (4) pages.
- Project budget with an evaluation plan with specific criteria for judging the program's effectiveness.
- A copy of the agency's most recent audited financial statement.
- A copy of the agency's current operating budget.
- A copy of the agency's Section 501 (c)(3) IRS determination letter.
Note: Attachments can be in a number of different file formats. MSWord (.doc, .docx), MSExcel (.xls, .xlsx), and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) are the preferred formats for attachments.
When to Apply
Our grant program has a rolling review process and works as follows:
Grant requests of $50,000 or more are put before the Alabama Power Foundation board quarterly.
Quarterly Board Meeting Schedule*:
- March 14, 2013 (Application Deadline: February 22, 2013)
- June 13, 2013 (Application Deadline: May 24, 2013)
- September 12, 2013 (Application Deadline: August 23, 2013)
- December 2, 2013 (Application Deadline: November 15, 2013)
*Dates are subject to change.
Should you miss the application deadline for a given meeting your grant request will be considered at the next regularly scheduled meeting.
Grant requests for less than $50,000 are considered on a rolling basis. We work through our requests as quickly as possible, so please be patient. If you have not heard from us within 8 weeks of when we acknowledged receipt of your grant request, please contact Alisa Summerville at 205-257-4722 or email@example.com.
You will be notified within 10 business days of a meeting about the status of your grant request.